Use One-Time-Passwords for Electronic Signatures in Confluence Server and Data Center
Posted April 23, 2020 in Comala Document Management
CATEGORIESCanvas Jira Canvas OnDemand Case Studies Comala Agile Ranking Comala Boards Comala Document Approval Comala Document Control Comala Document Management Comala Lists Comala Metadata Comala Publishing Comala Read Confirmations Comala Workflows Comalatech Comalatech Events HR Knowledge Base MediCompli
Confluence Server and Data Center users can now electronically sign documents using one-time-passwords (OTP, also called signing tokens) thanks to today’s update to Comala Document Management and Comala Document Control. The new signing process is perfect for teams already using signing tokens, or for teams that are using SSO and need a signing mechanism that doesn’t rely on an Atlassian login.
How it Works
The OTP, or signing token, is generated by a third party app installed on your smart phone. The token is temporary and will expire quickly, so you will be required to use a new token if too much time passes between approving pages. Once you enter the token into the dialog box, the app will authenticate and validate it. As long as the code is entered correctly along with your user name, the approval will execute and will be logged as electronically signed.
Setting up signing tokens for the first time does take a few special steps.
- The first time you attempt to electronically sign a Confluence page, you will see a “Initialize Signing Token” button
- Press the button and a new page will open instructing you how to configure an authenticator app on your phone
- Install the app of your choice (or the one mandated by your IT team) and create an account.
- Once your account is set-up, it will ask you scan the QR code displayed in the app
- Scan the QR code and it will register Confluence with your app
- The app will start generating tokens that you can use for electronic signatures
The system is already used by our Comala Document Control Cloud users, and the feedback from them has been very positive.